You can begin teaching using OPAL within one year. Here are the necessary steps to do so:
- Apply for an Internship License from the New Mexico Public Education Department.
- While you are waiting for your license, get a teaching position as the teacher of record (New Mexico Regional Education Applicant Placement (NMREAP)).
- During your first year, take the three New Mexico Teaching Assessments - these will include the basic skills, teacher content, and teacher competencies. - What tests do I need to take?
- After you have passed these tests, take 1 or 2 reading courses depending on what your license is.
- At the end of your first year you may submit your OPAL if you have taken all your tests and courses.
NMPED Requirements for OPAL: http://www.ped.state.nm.us/ped/LicensureDocs/2016/OPAL.pdf