You can begin teaching using OPAL within one year. Here are the necessary steps to do so:
- Get an Internship License from the New Mexico Public Education Department.
- While you are waiting for your license, get a teaching position as the teacher of record
- During your first year, take the three New Mexico Teaching Assessments - these will include the basic skills, teacher content, and teacher competencies
- After you have passed these tests, take 1 or 2 reading courses depending on what your license is
- At the end of your first year you may submit your OPAL if you have taken all your tests and courses