You can begin teaching using OPAL within one year. Here are the necessary steps to do so:
- Apply for an Internship License from the New Mexico Public Education Department.
- While you are waiting for your license, get a teaching position as the teacher of record (New Mexico Regional Education Applicant Placement (NMREAP)).
- During your first year, take the three New Mexico Teaching Assessments - these will include the basic skills, teacher content, and teacher competencies. - What tests do I need to take?
- After you have passed these tests, take 1 or 2 reading courses depending on what your license is.
- At the end of your first year( minimum of 160 days) you may submit your OPAL if you have completed all tests and courses.
To get an intern license you will have to submit to NMPED an Intern application and a fee of $125.00 in the form of a cashier’s check or money order along with the following:
- Letter from applicant addressed to Director of Licensure, requesting approval to participate in the OPAL path.
- Proof of enrollment in a required reading course
- Registration verification for the New Mexico Teacher Assessment www.nmta.nesinc.com
- Official transcripts reflecting your degree/s
NMPED Requirements for OPAL: http://www.ped.state.nm.us/ped/LicensureDocs/2016/OPAL.pdf