Alternative Licensure may be the right choice for those wishing to “fast-track” into teaching with a 2 year alternative licensure program.
Consider the options for earning Alternative Licensure and chose the one which suits you best.
- through a post-baccalaureate alternative licensure program (face to face or online)
- a portfolio (Online Portfolio for Alternative Licensure – OPAL).
In either case, one may apply for an Internship License and begin teaching while completing the requirements for Alternative Licensure.
An individual may complete either the program or portfolio route to alternative licensure independently; however, support is available for qualifying participants in alternative licensure programs.
If you do not have a Bachelor’s Degree, consider one of these two methods for earning a license:
- Complete a combination of approved Associate and Bachelor Degree Programs offered at most New Mexico Universities. (See below)
- Complete an approved Bachelor Degree Program
If you already have a bachelor’s degree or higher, you can earn your license through one of the following pathways and begin teaching now on an internship license:
1. Alternative Licensure Program
Fulfill the requirements for earning your NM teaching license through a two-year alternative licensure program to earn a teaching certificate. The following are links to approved alternative licensure programs in New Mexico (see below)
2. Online Portfolio for Alternative Licensure (OPAL)
Fulfill the requirements for earning your NM teaching license by completing a portfolio that demonstrates to the reviewers of your online portfolio submission how you meet the requirements for a Level I license. Other than the portfolio requirements, include evidence of passing 3–6 hours of reading courses and evidence of passing the three NMTAs.
3. Master’s degree with teacher preparation
Earn your master’s degree while earning your teaching license.
Associate Degree Programs
- Central New Mexico Community College
- Clovis Community College
- San Juan College
- Santa Fe Community College
Bachelor Degree Programs
- Eastern New Mexico University
- Grand Canyon University
- New Mexico Tech
- New Mexico Highlands University
- New Mexico State University
- Northern NM College
- University of New Mexico
- University of Phoenix
- Wayland Baptist University
- Western New Mexico University
- University of the Southwest